The Dallas Cowboys have finally signed a veteran wide receiver — just not that veteran wide receiver.
NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport and Jane Slater (h/t Nick Shook) reported Monday that the Cowboys were signing former Indianapolis Colts receiver T.Y. Hilton. Dallas later confirmed the acquisition but didn’t disclose any terms of the contract.
Hilton, a four-time Pro Bowl selection, played for the Colts from 2012 through last season but missed the start of the 2021 campaign while on injured reserve.
In total, the 33-year-old appeared in 10 games during his last season with Indianapolis and recorded just 23 receptions for 331 yards and three touchdowns.
Hilton last played in a meaningful game on Jan. 9.
“Great addition,” Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said about the signing on Monday. “We’ll get him out there Wednesday and get him acclimated. … He had a workout. Everything passed with flying colors. The timing is right. He’s ready to go.”
The Cowboys welcomed big-name free-agent receiver Odell Beckham Jr. for a visit and physical last week, but it was later reported that at least some within the organization are concerned he may not be ready to play “before mid-January” at the earliest as he continues his recovery from the torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee he suffered in February.
During this past Thursday’s edition of “The Shop,” Beckham made it known he doesn’t “see the point” in playing in the final handful of regular-season games before postseason contests begin next month.
As shared by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones told reporters following Sunday’s 27-23 win over the Houston Texans that Beckham could still be in his plans before the playoffs.
“Not at all,” Jones responded when asked if the Cowboys have moved on from adding OBJ to the roster. “Put a big exclamation on that. That’s all I got on that.”
For now, McCarthy will look to get Hilton ready for when the 10-3 Cowboys play at the 5-8 Jacksonville Jaguars this Sunday.