Egypt Condemned Over Detention of Journalist Ismail Iskandarani

Cairo, 9 October 2025 — Human Rights Watch (HRW) has condemned the detention of prominent Egyptian journalist and researcher Ismail Iskandarani, who was arrested in Cairo on 24 October over Facebook posts critical of government policies. The organization described the arrest as part of a broader crackdown on independent journalism and free expression in Egypt. […]

Continue Reading

Press Freedom Advocates Condemn Killing of Sudanese Journalist in El Fasher

Khartoum, 9 October 2025 — The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) has condemned the killing of Sudanese journalist Alnor Suleiman Alnor, who died following a drone strike on his home in El Fasher, North Darfur. The press freedom group is urging Sudanese authorities to investigate whether the attack was a deliberate attempt to silence his […]

Continue Reading

High-level week opens with celebration of women’s empowerment

During the landmark 1995 event in the Chinese capital, countries came together and adopted the Beijing Declaration – a blueprint document for advancing women’s rights (read our explainer, here). At the high-level celebratory event on Monday, countries, civil society organizations, and representatives from academia and the private sector discussed how to accelerate its implementation. “For so many […]

Continue Reading

Rights Group Demands Release of Trainee Nurse Detained 80 Days Without Trial in Imo, Nigeria

Owerri, Nigeria, 8 October 2025 — Human rights advocates have called for the immediate release of 21-year-old trainee nurse Princess Nmesoma Chukwunyere, who has been held for more than 80 days without trial at the Imo State Police Command’s Tiger Base facility in Owerri. Arrest and Detention Nmesoma, a student nurse at Mother of Mercy […]

Continue Reading

Tunisia: Death Sentence for Facebook Posts

(Beirut) – A Tunisian court sentenced a man to death last week for peaceful Facebook posts, Human Rights Watch said today. He received a presidential pardon days later, but this is an unprecedented sentence for nonviolent expression in Tunisia. Tunisian authorities should stop detaining and prosecuting people solely for exercising their right of expression. Saber […]

Continue Reading

Rights Groups Condemn Deadly ‘Paramotor’ Attack on Civilians in Myanmar

Rights organizations have condemned a deadly nighttime assault in central Myanmar in which motorized paragliders, or “paramotors,” dropped explosives on civilians, killing more than 20 people, including children, during the Thadingyut Festival of Lights. The Attack Witnesses in Chaung-U Township, Sagaing Region, reported that the first strike occurred around 8 p.m. on Monday, as residents […]

Continue Reading

Guinea Urged to Secure Safe Return of Kidnapped Journalist’s Father

Conakry, 8 October 2025 — Press freedom groups have called on Guinean authorities to ensure the safe return of 75-year-old Elhadj Adama Keita, the father of exiled journalist Mamoudou Babila Keita, who was abducted by unidentified men in Nzérékoré on September 29. Circumstances of the Abduction According to witnesses, Keita was seized outside his home […]

Continue Reading

Gaza: UN rights office deplores deadly strikes on Palestinians gathering firewood

OHCHR in the Occupied Palestinian Territory expressed dismay that “the Israeli military is destroying Gaza City, forcing Palestinians to flee and then killing them when they seek shelter in Middle Gaza, especially in and around An Nuseirat Camp.”  Amid the ongoing displacement and influx of internally displaced persons (IDPs), Israel intensified strikes on the northwestern […]

Continue Reading

China: Free US-Resident Artist Unjustly Charged

(New York) – The Chinese government should drop the baseless charges against the artist Gao Zhen (高兟) and allow him and his family to return to the United States, Human Rights Watch said today. Gao’s family said the 69-year-old artist, a permanent US resident, is in poor health and had fainted in September 2025. Chinese authorities […]

Continue Reading

ICC Secures First Conviction for Darfur Atrocities by Sudan Militia After Two Decades

The Hague, 7 October 2025 — The International Criminal Court (ICC) has delivered a landmark ruling, convicting Ali Muhammad Ali Abd-Al-Rahman, also known as Ali Kushayb, a former commander of Sudan’s Janjaweed militia, for atrocities committed in Darfur more than 20 years ago. It marks the ICC’s first conviction linked to the Darfur conflict, a […]

Continue Reading